Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My babies - Canvas Silhouettes

In the past few days I have been working on a Silhouette project. I got the inspiration from Pinterest and found many good tips there as well.

Here are the 3 finished canvases. I am so proud of it, it looks a lot like them to my great surprise.



Here are the steps and a few good tips I gathered along the way on how to do it.

1. Take good profile picture of the kids. Preferably with a white background.

2. I converted the image to the outlines in Photoshop (if you want an explanation on how I did this, let me know, and I'll add it).


3. Use a wall paper (טפט) to print on.


4. Make sure you print on the other side, not the shiny sticky side, I tried printing on the shiny side and the ink will not dry.


5. Cut the image out carefully.


6. Spread Mod Podge on the canvas. This is a very important step. I'll show you at the end of this tutorial what happens if you don't. Wait for the glue to dry completely.



7. Peel the wallpaper and stick it on the canvas where you want the image to show.


8. Paint the canvas, front and sides. I used acrylic color.




9. Wait until the color is fully dry and peel the wallpaper. You can see how the canvas is looking after I peeled the wallpaper and on the left side, you can see the wallpaper on a scrap paper.



10. Spread another layer of Mod Podge to protect the color, also I find the color to be a little sticky even after fully dry and the Mod Podge layer just makes the canvas nicer to touch. Once that layer is dry you are done.

Here is a picture of the 3 canvases I made hanging on the wall.


 And lastly, remember in step 6 I told you it's important to paint the canvas with Mod Podge before you start with the color.

Here is why: notice how in the left side picture (no mod podge) the color bleeds into the canvas and you don't get a clean line when you remove the wall paper. I had to learn this the hard way... But hey - at least you now have a picture to learn from :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment

הודעה בנוגע ללינקים באתר

בחלק מהלינקים באתר (אמזון, סקראפבוק וסיימון) יש לי שיווק שותפים שזה אומר שאם אתם קונים מהלינק שלי אני מקבלת עמלה קטנה ולכם זה לא עולה יותר (באמת שלא... בדקתי את זה).